Sunday, May 4, 2014

Reflection

During this documentary project my biggest struggle was editing the project. If the media depot wasn't there I would not have full ability to finish the project. One aspect that made me most proud was that we finished the project in one day and it turned out alright. It made me smile when I saw some footage that I recorded and presenting it in front of my peers. One aspect I would change about the documentary would be that we should have recorded more of their outdoor concerts and added a section for their magazine, the rifle. I thought I was responsible for most of the project, as all my group members should have thought. Personally I recorded my own material, edited my material, and put it all together in junction with my group members materials. I was appointed as the "main" editor, but other group members jumped in to help throughout the editing process. To promote a healthy group relationship, I tried to make conversation and avoid any controversial topics. I focused on trying to make the project casual but I don't know if that worked. I wish I would have worked on a more official story board to help editing but that wasn't necessarily my job. I for sure feel like I contributed a fair amount to the project and have the back up material to prove that I had a large part in this group project.

This course kind of helped to hone my critical thinking skills, but felt like any other course that would try to hone my critical thinking skill. I had to sit there figuring out what to focus on for our project from all of the footage we had. I think that was the time where critical thinking came into play, besides trying to figure out good interview questions for good content. Since this was a follow up class to my previous WRD class, I felt that this implemented good use of my new found knowledge with communication and technology techniques. I could interview properly since I had previous interview experience for my research paper last semester. I used new technology that I really didn't know how to use and now have some sort of an idea how to repeat the process. I liked this process instead of 4 essays and I enjoyed learning about b-roll, which opened me to filming. I believe this kind of teaching was very helpful and mind opening. I wouldn't really change anything about this class because most of its assignments are appropriate and more enjoyable than normal classes, with the creative assignments. If I could change one thing about this course it would be the location of the class room, probably would have attended more classes if it was closer to my dorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment